Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Articles.

What do you do if a client doesn't listen? Cosgrove recommends looking at why you as a trainer don't listen to his advice, perhaps there's an answer in there? This topic is endlessly interesting, as a trainer, how do you motivate someone? How do you motivate someone who doesn't want to be motivated? Who just wants to eat and drink how they want, and only want to throw a couple of dollars a week at the issue of fat loss, but doesn't really care (or respect) you or your time (and the time you spend on their efforts)? I think coaches like Cosgrove might say just get rid of someone like that, they're a waste of your time, they're wasting their own time, and they're wasting their money. If that is in fact what Cosgrove (or any trainer for that matter) might say, I'd have to disagree, but only for me. I think something is better than nothing, and even the meagre effect these people let me have is better than they would have by themselves (imagine if they ate as they did, and didn't train?). (As a trainer) Ultimately the results you get are just about the only indicator of the quality of your training, and unfortunately those results largely depend on getting your client to eat the way you want them to.
This parallels the above, in the sense that, people who don't follow diets and programs seem incredulous that anyone could, that they are privy to a set of circumstance no-one else is, which is of course (confirmation bias) nonsense. We all have the same amount of time in a day, we all have responsibilities and interests that take us away from being healthy, the difference between those that look good and those that don't boils down to interest.
Again this issue directly relates to the above 2 articles, those who have low self worth, low self esteem etc, are going to take it out of themselves, they're seemingly less likely (or able) to want to eat healthy and train. Hopefully this article can shed some light on the positives of what I offer as a trainer.
You think I talk tough about eating right? Dan John lays the smack down on people who eat like kids.
Much like my training diaries (only better) Bruno gives some insights into his programming.
One of my clients told me, their trainer cousin told them, to improve their pullup, they need to practice dead hangs, without knowing the context or this trainers intent it's hard to judge, but my prima facie response was incredulity. This article includes it as a part of getting good at the pullup, but to give it as the sole advice? Seems bizarre to me.
Principles appear common sensical, but you'd be surprised how often people don't do that which is based on sense.
This kind of article is gratifying for me as a trainer to see that I can tick off much from this article as part of my training routines with clients
Common sense advice from Mark Rippetoe.
Much of this parallels what I've discussed here.
Robertsons epic on the deadlift.
This and the below articles are interesting insights into what a gym owner should consider when putting together a gym (how does CBD fair?).
The one that made me chuckle was bodybuilder types teaching their girlfriend how to train like them, see that one all the time.

I'm always curious when reading these posts to see where I fail and where I don't, fortunately for me, with this article, some of the points don't apply (charging) and some do, as in I train on a regular basis and have lasted in the industry (up to about 4 years now), I'd like to think I've continued learning and I don't seel products (this blog is the closest I'd come to an "online professional" and I'd be hardpressed to see where on this blog I preach anything that isn't supported by evidence or isn't standard fare for most strength coaches).
Some helpful tips.
You have to read the whole article, it's worth it.
This guy's one of the biggest brains in the business, when he says something, listen!
This goes in line somewhat with this post, enjoy.

Interesting as most of us have one or 2 clients in this situation.

For those who need more confirmation on the importance of meal frequency.

No comments:

Post a Comment