Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Articles.

I've recently purchased a few books (here, here, here , here, here, here and here) and I was considering doing some basic reviews, an giving my thoughts on them, so keep an eye out for that over the next couple of weeks.

P Diddy, this one is for you a la our conversation on this blog the other day. In this post Kyle Newell discusses, a prima facie, anecdotal case for sprinting, and as per a discussion I had with a critic here (scroll down to the last comment) Newell also makes a case for an evolutionary basis for sprinting and weight lifting, something I think Gray Cook and Michael Boyle (et al) would get behind (re: fundamental movement patterns). 

Is there a theme in the posts this week? Ferrugia has a great meandering post here, going from his thoughts on music, movies etc an how they've affected him, where he's come from and where he's going. The fact that he mentions a Henry Rollins quote:
"I believe that one defines ones self by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone.” 
 A personal hero of mine, this quote is the reaosn this blog is in this week. 

I've cited Robertson in a blog on abs before, and it seems after some time, this information is still relevant. A nice, short post. 

Some research articles on grains from someone with a "beef" against grains (see what I did there?), but don't let that affect you, is his evidence valid?

Some tips here from Tumminello on pre workout meals, he's chucked in a couple of links that you guys should chase, as this is pretty important stuff. This post also backs contentions I've had on this blog regarding meals, which I discuss here, here and here.

I like to add meta analysis articles on science itself sometimes, so we can always remember to base what we do on empirical research. I'm certainly not saying that anecdotal evidence and experiential evidence means nothing, often times professionals (re: top coaches and physiotherapists in the world) can lead the way, ahead of the research, but I wouldn't advocate for someone at my level, to not "stick to the recipe". The more discussions I have with trainers and the more I realise it about myself, I see a lot of pseudoscience creeping into our training methodology's, into what we preach. The more I can learn about proper scientific methodology, the more I can be aware when someones training modalities don't pass muster. To whatever extent I'm qualified to make that assessment, and I admit, that may be very little. 

This is a blog post by Eric Cressey, much in the same vain of this blog itself, a collection of (his) articles to check out, he's always worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment