Sunday, March 13, 2011

Training Diary-Phase 1- Wk4.

I'm writing this at 12:40am on Thursday night/Friday morning. My training this week has been, well, non existent. Due to the public holiday on Monday (and the resulting concert: Soundwave, which was awesome by the way!), then having the day off Tuesday to sleep it off (re: not hungover, didn't drink at all, just uber tired and somewhat sun burnt), my first day of training this week was Wednesday night, in which I did day 3's workout. It was a pretty weak workout, I felt flat, and tired, mostly matched personal bests (went a little under on some exercises). Could be the break in the routine, could have been the sun from Monday, could be the diet.  Thursday, I didn't train, as I didn't work (didn't want to do the hour and a half drive) so now I have only tomorrow morning before work (as I have to take my car in to the garage after work), which will largely depend on how tired I feel in the next 2-3 hours, at the moment I'm hopeful I'll go in (note: I didn't go in). Maybe I could make it in over the weekend as well, maybe if I got to shmoopy's house on Saturday night, I could stop in an do a workout, hmmmm... That'll mean I only miss one workout, which is.. acceptable, as an anomaly (note: I didn't go in over the weekend). I started on day 3's workout as I anticipated only getting in for 2 sessions this week, if I go in on Saturday, I'll do day 1's workout. I have phase 2 next week of this superset program, which I expect will be hard, at first, as most programs are.

Oh one thing that I've forgotten to include which I am a total hypocrite on, is the warm up, I basically don't do one. Not a meaningful one anyway, I walk from my car, which is about 10 minutes away, is this a warm up? No.  Is it better than nothing? Mmm not by much. I haven't done it simply because I'm lazy, that's it, and I pay the price, with poor movement and tightness. I don't recommend it, and if you're one of my clients, you know how much of a hypocrite I am, by not doing a good, or even moderate warm up, it's something I intend to fix! When I start my new program I will attempt to warm up.


Program


Rob Build Up


Phase 1


Superset


Day 1


Upper Body S R Wk3
BB Bench/ BB BO Row 3 12
DB Inc Bench/ Suppt T-bar 3 12
BB Military Press/ Pullup 3 12
Skullcrusher/ BB Curl 3 12
Dip/ DB Alt Curl 3 12




Day 2


Lower Body/Abs S Wk3
Hex Bar Deadlift 3 12 
DB Split Squat/SLDL 3 12
DB Step Up/ Lateral Lunge 3 12
Rollout/ Dynamic Plank 3 12




Day 3 S R Wk3
Upper Body


BB Decline/ DB BO Row 3 12  70kg/30kg, 90kg/32.5kg, 100kg/35kg
DB Bench/ CG Seated Row 3 12  30kg/90kg, 30kg/90kg, 30kg/95kg
DB Military Press/ Chinup 3 12  20kg/BWx8, 20kg/BWx7, 22.5kg/BWx8
CG Bench/ Preacher Curl 3 12
Rope Pulldown/ DB Curl 3 12




Day 4 S R Wk3
Lower Body


BB Back Squat  3  12
DB Walking Lnge/ Good Mrng  3  12
Hack Squat/ Lying Leg Curl  3  12
Bodysaw/ Hanging Leg Raise  3  12

Diet wise things have been ok, I haven't had any meat in almost 2 weeks, I went to dinner twice (Maya Masala- Indian, Lido- Vietnamese Restaurant) last weekend, and had a vegetarian thali at Maya, and Tofu at Lido, both were excellent, even if I did miss the meat meals and looked enviously at everyone eating them (fortunately both meals I ate with other vegetarians with the exception of Claire at Lido, a former vegetarian herself). I thought energy levels were levelling out, I felt less reactionary, less angry, and much more reasonable, until I realised people are telling me how grumpy I've been and I succumbed to road rage the other day, which I never do (not exactly scientific conclusions I'm coming to here I know). I've been pretty tempted to rationalise a meat meal here and there (convenience and laziness mostly), but have resisted. I've bought some tofu this week, which I'm going to cook up into a korma curry and store in the fridge like I used to do with my chicken and beef, to be eaten over the week (post workout meals mostly). If anyone knows how long I can store cooked tofu I'd really appreciate some info.

Well, as of writing that on Thursday night, it is now Sunday afternoon, and 2 things have happened, (1) I had meat on Friday night (Maya Masala) and I've gotta tell ya, it was delicious and made me feel great! (2) As some of you know, there has been a debate on my Facebook page (my name is Rob El, add me if you haven't), regarding tofu/psuedoscience. It's based on questions like "is tofu safe", if it is "who's saying it is" and "are they reliable" some say yes, some say no. I want to do a blog on tofu because it's a great source of protein for vegetarians. And there is some controversy as to its safety.

Having said that, and as I originally claimed, I was going to take a more semivegetarian stance, but I've dived right into a vegtarian lifestyle, and it's been killing me, it's killing my relationships and it's killing my ability to think (which I admit could be my fault by going from 0-60 in 2 seconds or not getting enough from my diet). So I may perhaps try to include 1 meat meal a day, or every 2 days (or whenever I feel like I need it). Coincidentally a friend of mine, Wolf (awesome name right?) sent me a blog post, from his blog on beef/meat, and he contacted me (via Facebook) to send me some information about meat in regards to my blog on the nutritional benefits of a vegetarian diet:
" ...the nutritional argument for vegetarianism doesnt hold up to the available evidence and that while it *can* be better than the typical western diet, it is not (imo) the optimal diet for health. Meat contains a lot more nutrients than protein/iron/b12 and by cutting it out completely you are depriving yourself of one super nutrient dense food group. I posted this on my blog a while back which I think demonstrates that while there are concerns about red meat, you can have your cake and eat it too, if you take some steps in preparing it first."
Here is a link to his blog, for those who are interested: http://myopinionofthings.blogspot.com/2010/05/beef-is-not-four-letter-word.html

It's important to look at what he's saying simply in the context of nutrition, he's simply stating meat has benefits, and that my argument doesn't hold a lot of water (overall). Check it out guys, some great work there.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oats with 1 scoop protein powder, hilo milk, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. 700mL of water.

Meal after morning shift:  Smoothy- 1 cup of berries, 1 cup of mixed veggies, 1 banana, 1 pear, 1/2 cup of walnuts, a touch of cinnamon, 750mL of water, 1 cup of yogurt, 150g cottage cheese, 3 broccoli stems, handful of cherry tomatoes, lentils, chick peas (or various other types of beans/lentils). I also forgot to note, this makes 2 shakes that I have over the course of the day, or I have the next day.

Meal before training and afternoon shift: 1 can of salt reduced baked beans, 1 glass of Hilo milk. 500mL water.

Post workout shake: x2  up n go "energize"'s, 30g of protein powder. 500mL water during training.

Dinner: Various egg options, I have a kg of chicken to cook up too, I'll make a korma curry with that (I still haven't cooked it up, but will this week). I have the chicken still from the 1st week and I have tofu, but as you will see on Facebook, I may not eat it.

Supplements. 3-4 fish oil tabs with my morning smoothy, and I've started taking a multivitamin tablet once-twice a day.

Had nachos 4 times this week, I'm a fatty :(

Next week I'm into the new program, so it's "balls to the wall" again!! Stay tuned.

Here are some progress shots that I took on Friday the 11th at like 3 in the morning after I got home from my girls house (was the back story necessary Rob?)
I'm not sure what I weigh, but last check was 94kgs @ 17% Bodyfat.

11 comments:

  1. You should check out the Primal Blueprint - www.marksdailyapple.com

    I cut all grains/sugars/refined carbs/starchy carbs in my diet and have lost weight eating vegies and meat and eggs. Feel so good too.

    A lot of vegetarians/vegans that have eaten they way they have for odd 20 years, have changed to eating the paleo/primal way as its the way we evolved, ie. hunter-gatherer. We evolved from eating plants and animals.

    And there is much controversy on soy/soybeans... being genetically modified and heavily processed as well as containing estrogen...

    I also have a blog - http://lowcarb.amethystangel.net (haven't updated in a while as been busy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and links, I pretty much agree with everything you said!

    I've added your blog to my blogroll, so keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of it as still managing to get one workout in an otherwise written-off week. Don't let a bad week get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-eating-article/the-soy-scare-is-back/878935 <-good rebuttal to the soya scare. Seriously, it's always something ;)

    I've got a lot of mates in the metal scene who don't eat meat, and trust me, heaps of them are big, strong, "manly" (I suppose, for what it's worth) dudes, who are a great counter to the stereotype of the skinny, pale, wussy vegetarian.

    Also this band: http://www.peta2.com/OUTTHERE/o-cattledecap.asp
    Amazing , brutal grindcore. Vegetarian. Quite vocal :P

    P.S. HOUR AND A HALF DRIVE TO WORK??!!!!!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always Eloise, thankyou for your hardwork in supplying me with info :)

    For me, it's not so much about being small, I know I can get enough calories in, to put on weight. I'm more concerned about my moods, and how that affects the people around me, do you have any advice or tips for mood control when giving up what's been passively described as my "meat addiction"? Did you have anything like that? Or know anyone who's gone through that?

    Please give me all the music tips you can, I'm always looking for more metal!! \m/

    Haha I know right!! Well it's a hour and a half round trip, but yes, it sux! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have too many issues with moods, however every now and again around that time of the female calendar, I get these crazy crazy cravings for chicken (I'm assuming it's related to iron, even though my levels are totally fine without supps). Not as bad i imagine as a pregnancy craving (no crawling up walls), but still pretty full-on. I only caved twice in 12 years though, and both times were disappointing!!!

    You're probably missing the chewy, pull-apart feeling of eating meat, yeah? Woolworths stock Fry's schnitzels, which even impress fussy little me. They've got decent nuggets too, and I usually can't stand meat substitutes. I don't go down that path much, but it's good for every now and then.

    Also Linda McCartney's vegetarian pies are for sale at PAWS on Beaufort St (http://www.paws.org.au/) and I was truly amazed by how close they come to the real thing. Again, I'm not easily impressed.

    Barney from Napalm Death is vegetarian (has been for over 20 years). Napalm Death!!!! !$%*&
    HOT

    What kinda metal are you mostly into? I'm grindcore through and through, but I'm going to go see Finntroll in a few weeks at Amplifier. If you're into the folk/battle metal and haven't heard them, I'd recommend. They're pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also having read your daily food diary thing over and over, I think I'd probably be moody eating that too ;)
    I probably have twice as much for breakfast (Weet Bix, a banana, avocado on toast...) and I'm pretty sure more carbs in general. I think most vegetarians I know started eating more carbs when they switched; maybe the gluten/starchiness in the bread gives us something we feel we're missing?

    It def takes more to feel full/satisfied than it used to, but because i'm eating healthier food (it used to be mostly fried chicken and processed meats) I'm still better for it.

    I'd try and eat more rich, flavoursome foods like Indian and Italian to try and replicate the feeling you get after a satisfying meat dish?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the late reply Eloise, have been away from the computer.

    "You're probably missing the chewy, pull-apart feeling of eating meat, yeah?"

    I'm not sure what it is, I'm just all over the place.. Thanks for the tips :)

    "What kinda metal are you mostly into? I'm grindcore through and through, but I'm going to go see Finntroll in a few weeks at Amplifier. If you're into the folk/battle metal and haven't heard them, I'd recommend. They're pretty amazing."

    Traditionally I was into black/(tech)death metal (Emperor, Behemoth, Nile, Hate Eternal, Marduk, Mayhem, Necrophagist, The Faceless etc). Lately I've been listening to more metalcore/electrocore/hardcore... But I'll listen to just about anything :)I do listen to some folk/avante garde/celtic metal (Agalloch, Eluveitie, Amon Amarth) but not much or often :) Let me know when they're playin and I may pop in :)

    "I probably have twice as much for breakfast (Weet Bix, a banana, avocado on toast...) and I'm pretty sure more carbs in general. I think most vegetarians I know started eating more carbs when they switched; maybe the gluten/starchiness in the bread gives us something we feel we're missing?"

    Yeh since reading this I've upped my breakfast a little... I'm not a huge carb fan, so it's been hard to rely on them more, but I'm moving more toward that way...

    Yeh the indian meals have been great, same with the asian places we eat... I just need to find ways to eat like that when I'm not at dinner :)

    I was thinking I send articles to my clients, if you want to me to do that with you too, flick me your email :)

    Thanks for all the input Eloise, it's invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, that'd be awesome! Bo and I just gossip about hair and goth clubs and America hahaha

    eloise.rosenstein@gmail.com :)

    Finntroll is Monday 28/3/11 (so just over a week) and trust me, it'll be the most fun you can have on a Monday night :D
    http://www.moshtix.com.au/event.aspx?id=42719&ref=moshtix

    I dig Mayhem, and I caught Nile years ago in Melb, but haven't been to one of their more recent shows. I used to go to a lot of local gigs, but talent in Perth kinda tapered off. Melb grind is still strong as ever though (heading over in a few weeks for the 2nd last ever Arthouse show; should be pretty killer).

    Oh yeah, and you know about Annalakshmi right? http://annalakshmi.com.au/
    I don't go as much as I used to, even though it's so close to work, and on the waterfront... but damn their food is great.

    If it sounds like I eat out a lot..... I eat out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the email, expect one over the weekend.

    Thanks for the link :)

    I had not heard about Annalakshmi, I'm such an old man :)

    Haha, I eat out at one place alot... I have O.C.D :(

    ReplyDelete